City Agencies

The NYC Department of Buildings (DOB):
Check for construction-related complaints and follow their progress. (To actually file a complaint, call 311.)

New York State Tenant Protection Unit (TPU):
The TPU was created to respond to protect tenants (especially rent regulated tenants) from practices of landlord fraud and harassment.

Department of Health and Mental Hygiene:
 646-632-6023 to request a callback.
(347) 396-4177 – Press Department

NYS Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DCHR):
The site links to fact sheets about rent regulation laws for the state and city. This webpage on the site links to specific forms for complaints, rent reductions, service outages, heat and hot water, overcharges, etc. You can call them, too. The Rent Info Line: 718-739-6400


NYC Department of Investigation:

Christina Clyburn
Confidential Investigator
NYC Department of Investigation
83 Maiden Lane
New York, NY 10038
Phone: (212)825-2409